Rustic chicken casserole is a tasty dinner recipe that the whole family will love. Nourishing and warming on chilly winter evenings, or whenever you feel like a truly wholesome and satisfying meal.
Rustic chicken casserole with green olives
- Pack of chicken pieces 4 thighs and 4 drumsticks
- 3 tbsp O for Olive extra virgin olive oil
- 2 brown onion chopped
- 2-3 cloves of garlic finely chopped or minced
- 1 small to medium white potato cubed
- 2-3 carrots coarsely chopped
- 1 red pepper sliced into approximately 2cm lengths
- 1 fresh tomato chopped
- 1 cup of O For Olive Pitted Green Olives dependent on taste
- 1 hot chilli finely chopped
- Salt and black pepper
- Fresh sprig of thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 750 ml chicken stock
- Trim any excess fat off chicken pieces then dry with paper towel.
- Place in ovenproof dish and season well with salt and pepper and a sprig of thyme.
- Par-cook the chicken pieces in a hot oven (190 ℃) for 15 minutes.
- Then sprinkle paprika liberally over the chicken pieces and grill for 2 minutes.
- Take out and set aside to rest for around 15-20 minutes while preparing the dish.
- Add all other ingredients to a casserole pot and season with salt, black pepper and paprika.
- Add garlic, bay leaves and pitted green olives.
- Pour in 750ml of chicken stock and add the chicken pieces.
- Be sure to include the liquid from the par-cooked chicken.
- Place casserole dish in a hot oven at 220 ℃ for 15-20 minutes, checking that dish is not burning or browning too much.
- Stir if necessary and leave for another 10 minutes keeping an eye on things.
- At approximately 30 minutes turn the oven down to 100℃ down and leave to slow cook for 3 hours.