Need a quick lunchtime recipe that will delight everyone? This rustic olive soda bread can be ready in less than an hour.
Rustic olive soda bread
- Olive oil for greasing
- 260 g white bread flour
- 240 g wholemeal flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp fine salt
- 4 tbsp 4 tbsp O for Olive black or green tapenade
- 300 ml buttermilk
- 60 g 60g O for Olive pitted black or green olives roughly chopped
- Milk for glazing
- Preheat oven to 200 °C.
- Line tray with baking paper and grease using olive oil.
- Sift the white and wholemeal flour together, adding the bicarb of soda and salt.
- Add the bran from the sieve. Mix tapenade and buttermilk and stir into flour with the olives.
- It should form a soft dough. Add more liquid or flour, if needed.
- Shape the dough into a round loaf and place on the baking tray.
- Cut a deep cross with a knife on the top.
- To glaze, brush with milk and bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes.
- It will look golden brown when done and the loaf will sound hollow when tapped on the back.